Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Cooks" Tour of Chicago






On the last Thursday in May, my cousin, my mother and I took a tour bus into Chicago for the day. We were set to experience Chicago through the eyes of a cook who might be shopping for special and interesting things to use in cooking. Our first stop was at a gourmet market named Fox and Obel, located on Illinos Street. We spent about an hour or so wandering around the market just enjoying the various aromas of such things as coffee, cheeses and freshly baked breads. Naturally, there are lots of samples to temp your tastebuds and entice you into buying something! I couldn't resist all of the wonderful cheeses that were so expertly presented. The cheesemonger, Aaron Stek, pictured at the right certainly knew his cheeses and was happy to recommend a few to us along with a sample or two! I bought two different goat cheeses that we enjoyed at home for several days. I also bought some wonderful vinegars and oils to enhance my cooking at home.

Then it was time to get back on board our bus and head to lunch at Kendall College, which is a culinary school in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago. It also happens that my cousin's daughter attends school there. She actually joined us for a cooking demonstration on how to make pesto and then for lunch and a tour of the school. The pesto was served as an appetizer along with a variety of breads at lunchtime. Lunch was absolutely delicious and consisted of three courses all prepared and served by the students. What a treat for all of us!

Although some of us would have been content to just call it a day and take a nap and head for home, we still had more touring to do. So we departed for a place called the Spice House located in Old Town. It is a storefront type of shop that is full of jars of every kind of spice that you could ever imagine. The tiny little shop just tickles your nose with the different scents that waft in the air. They offer tiny tins with samples of each of the spices, so you know exactly what you are purchasing. I couldn't leave without buying some jerk style grilling spice and some special spice concoction just for fried chicken! You can bet I'll be trying that very soon. :)
We boarded the bus again and made our final stop at the newest Whole Foods store located on Kingsbury Street. The store had literally been opened only one week, so everything was shiny and smelled new and fresh. I had never been in a Whole Foods store before although I have heard lots about them from friends. This place had everything you thought you needed and more! The produce was beautiful and I couldn't leave without buying both Ranier cherries and Bing cherries. Yum!

It was finally time to board our bus for the last time and head back to Rockford. I will say it was a pleasant and very quiet ride home as most of the passengers really did nod off. Shhhhh! Me....I had my knitting along and continued to work on my project and reflect on what a fun day we all had in the Windy City.

2 comments:

  1. I love that most of your adventures revolve around food. But now I'm hungrty again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good places to visit in the city. We used to live right behind(almost) the spice house and it's a great place to buy gifts. And I've heard fabulous things about the new Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete